Thursday, June 01, 2006

"Locks of Love"

Through the example of other girls in our church and home school community, both of our girls decided to grow their hair as long as they could so that they could donate it to "Locks of Love".

This was a huge deal to them because not only had neither of them been given the opportunity to enjoy long hair because of the serious hygiene challenges in an orphanage/impoverished environment, it was a personal goal they could set and accomplish that would benefit someone in need--a feeling they knew all too well.

For John and I, it provided us opportunities to encourage our girls to 'wear' and appreciate their femininity (older orphan girls often become 'tough' and boyish), appreciate the physical beauty God had created in them (something neither had been told or believed prior to being adopted), and the opportunity to illustrate/live self-sacrifice for the benefit of others.

What fun we girls (including a dear family friend who is fondly referred to as "Auntie") had when we went to the salon to donate their hair! I'm thankful for the 'special' treatment this particular salon gives (FREE) their clients who are donating their hair--our girls really did get 'the works' and were pampered beyond their dreams!

Here's a shot of Nina getting her hair washed while Olga and I watch.



Nina really enjoyed the special care and attention her stylist gave her!



Nina sporting her new 'do', and the hair she donated.



Olga's turn--look at all that hair!



Olga loved having her hair long, but was excited to get a new 'do'


Here she is with her donation.



Our beautiful girls with their new 'do's'!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family and I are in the process of adopting three sisters from Ukraine.
I have three boys so I look forward to having experiences like this to do with my girls. Your blog is very encouraging.

Connie said...

missyhope: Congratulations! If you have an 'adoption blog' (I haven't followed your link yet) I will definitely be following your journey!

Glad you found/find my blog to be 'very encouraging' cause I've tried to be open and transparent about the many blessings that come with the various challenges of adopting 'older' children!

God's Girl said...

Wow! I love reading about the way God moves in adoption stories. We too have adopted a girl from Russia and we are in the process of going back for another one (Lord willing).

Your girls are beautiful!