Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dos and Don'ts for Mother~Daughter Talks

(HT: Purple Cellar)


Do be available. Often the time won't be convenient, but try not to show it.

Do be encouraging. So many people and situations discourage our children. Let them know you're behind them.

Do be interested. They'll never relate to our world until we've learned to relate to theirs.

Do be observant. Know your daughter well. A lot of communication can be nonverbal. Be sensitive to where she is today.

Do be understanding. Look at your daughter's world and the world at large through her eyes.

Don't be inappropriately angry. When we display our anger in an unhealthy way, the light switch seems to turn off quickly. Communication has ended.

Don't be exasperating. We need to have realistic expectations for our daughter.

Don't be impatient. Growing into adulthood is hard work and takes time, with many trials and errors along the way.

Don't be obnoxious. If our children are not responding to our discipline, we need to find another and better way to encourage better behavior or thought. Don't let walls build up between you and your daughter.

Don't be unyielding. Sometimes we are wrong as moms, or we react inappropriately. Don't be afraid to confess your errors.

2 comments:

Annie said...

What good advice. I have recently realized that I am blessed to have been "open" enough that my dear 21 year old daughter will tell me just about everything! Her friends are stunned. And, frankly, I am not always very happy about all I hear. But when I offer an observation, she will usually listen.

Connie said...

annie: That IS a blessing, and I believe will help set the tone for the husband & wife relationship--open and honest!